Pages

Friday, January 8, 2010

Mother Chick Chat - a.k.a. All About Me

In a getting to know you type move, here are 100 completely random (and probably not that interesting) facts about me:

1. I am married to my high school sweetheart.

2. He’s a cop. A sheriff’s deputy. Well, a detective, actually.

3. I once said that I would never be with anyone who a) was a cop or b) owned a motorcycle.

4. My cop husband loves his motorcycle.

5. I once said that I would never have any children.

6. I have two children.

7. Clearly, I say a lot of dumb things.

8. My favorite color is pink. I find this slightly cheesy as I get older, but I like it anyway.

9. I can hold a grudge like nobody’s business. Cross me and you are dead to me, end of story.

10. I realize this is not one of my most redeeming qualities, but I don’t care enough to change.

11. Because of #9, there are whole branches of my family tree that I never speak to.

12. One of those branches is my dad. I haven’t spoken to him in almost a year and have no plans to do so any time soon.

13. I hate gossip. Before engaging in gossip with or about me, refer to number 9 on this list.

14. I can raise one eyebrow without the other.

15. Only my left one though.

16. If I raise one eyebrow at you, it means I think you are either a) stupid or b) lying to me.

17. I once went two years without talking to my sister. We weren’t mad at each other or anything though.

18. Now I talk to my sister every day.

19. I was born 2 months premature and almost died at birth.

20. I was breech and the doctor didn’t know it.

21. A nurse saw my butt and said “I see the head!” Personally, I don’t think my butt looks anything like my head.

22. My poor mother had to deliver me breech with forceps and no drugs. I probably still owe her for that one.

23. I almost died because my head got stuck. Once the doctor finally delivered me, he lifted me too high and all my blood rushed back down the umbilical cord to my mother, so I had to have a blood transfusion.

24. Everything turned out fine, because I am clearly a) fabulous and b) brilliant.

25. I never leave the house without having my toenails painted.

26. I hate clowns. They are freaky little bastards.

27. I am a very skeptical, ‘believe it when I see it’ kind of person.

28. I read constantly and have since I was little. I like most every genre, except maybe science fiction.

29. I heart my library card. I am a nerd like that.

30. Although I like to be social, I also appreciate alone time and when I don’t get it, I get cranky.

31. Some day, I would like to write a book. A novel, I think.

32. I once tried to teach myself how to knit but I had the yarn wound so tight that I broke the needles. I am clearly too uptight for knitting.

33. I truly believe that karma is a mean bitch.

34. I rarely watch TV.

35. I do like the Food Network though, because I like to cook.

36. I like to take recipes and adapt them to a healthier version.

37. I am also a fan of throwing a bunch of ingredients together and seeing what happens.

38. My family doesn’t always like my “experiments,” but they humor me anyway.

39. I also like to run, for fun. This is a foreign concept to many people.

40. I’ve run a few 5K road races, and would like to complete a half marathon in 2010. I’m not sure I’ll ever work my way up to a marathon. We’ll see.

41. A couple of years ago, I ran so much, my two big toenails fell off. It was gross.

42. I’m really vain about my feet so I glued on fake toenails (yes, they make fake toenails) until they grew back. My friends and family found this really funny. I did not.

43. I got better running shoes and my toenails don’t fall off anymore.

44. I really like to travel but I hate flying on airplanes. I’ll do it, but I hate it.

45. Places I most want to travel to are: Italy, Greece and Alaska, in that order.

46. My least favorite place I’ve been so far: Los Angeles. That place sucked. If you love it there, more power to ya. Just not my kind of town. Not to mention, LAX is a shit hole of an airport. The mountains, or hills, or whatever they are, were pretty though.

47. I am seriously addicted to Diet Coke. It’s my one vice though, so I don’t sweat it.

48. Speaking of sweat, I rarely perspire, even when exercising. This is weird, but handy, living in the South and all.

49. I had another blog before this one, from 2004-2006. I had a fair amount of readers and I’m kind of irritated that I let it go, as it chronicled a lot of important events in my life during that time, like the death of my mother-in-law from cancer.

50. It amazes me how much more aware you become of your mortality as you get older. I used to be a lot more fearless.

51. I also hate watching others around me get older. It bothers me to watch my mother age and know that she won’t be here forever.

52. I also find that I question more now that I’m older, rather than accepting things at face value or going with the flow.

53. This can make things more difficult, but also more interesting.

54. I’m a pop culture junkie. Celebrities kind of irritate me though. Most of them, anyway.

55. I’m also a trivia nerd. I have the most random facts floating around in my head. I can whip some ass at Trivial Pursuit.

56. When I was in the first grade, I refused to wear anything but skirts to school. Now I hate getting dressed up. Luckily, I work in a casual office.

57. It amazes me that my two children have polar opposite personalities to one another, and that they are also so different from me.

58. I can go eat in a restaurant or go to the movies by myself, it doesn’t bother me.

59. I love to go to the movies at the theater, but rarely watch movies at home. I cancelled our Netflix account because we never used it.

60. Both of my girls play soccer. I never thought I would be a soccer mom, but I love it.

61. I am a very competitive person.

62. This is interesting, because I never played competitive sports in school. I was a cheerleader and gymnast.

63. I am actually a pretty shy person when I’m around people I don’t know.

64. Some people mistake this and think I’m a snob, but I’m really not.

65. This is one personality trait I am working on changing.

66. I’m a fairly impatient person. I’m all about instant gratification.

67. I think it’s funny when people fall down. Well, as long as they’re not seriously hurt.

68. You know how people say to enjoy your kids while they’re small because it goes by too quickly? Now that my kids are older, I’ve realized that it’s really true. I’m holding on to these last days of their childhood with both hands, but they are still slipping away little by little.

69. I hate loud noises. They actually make me mad. The sound of a loud motorcycle infuriates me.

70. My maiden name is really uncommon. Anyone with that last name is usually my relative. It never exists in those books or on websites where you can trace your genealogy. We may have just grown from pods.

71. When I get angry, I clean my house. It makes me feel better.

72. I can’t stand clutter. Sometimes this is a problem because I throw things away, and then think of uses for them after they’re already gone.

73. I like to sit in the sun, even though I know it’s bad for me.

74. I have two small tattoos and would like to have both of them removed. Since they are mostly hidden, I may not ever get around to it.

75. My favorite food is mashed potatoes; I could eat them every day. I don’t actually eat them very often though. I did eat them nearly every day when I was pregnant.

76. When I was pregnant with Lily, I had pre-term labor and was on bed rest for 5 months. Bed rest sucks.

77. I really like pens. All kinds of pens. Especially free pens.

78. My creative pursuits pretty much begin and end with writing. I am not artistic: I cannot draw, paint, sculpt scrapbook, etc. I would like to get more into photography though.

79. When I was in the third grade, I wrote a fan letter to Whitney Houston and asked her to send me an autographed picture. She never did. What a bitch.

80. I can’t think of anything that I’m allergic to. Stupid people, maybe?

81. I have absolutely no sense of direction. I once got lost in my own neighborhood. That was a fun time.

82. I’m an okay driver, except for when I run into stuff accidentally. Like mailboxes.

83. For some reason, every time I drive through an intersection, I have this irrational fear that someone is going to run a red light and t-bone my car. What’s that about?

84. I actually have a lot of irrational fears. I just stuff them in a box and don’t look at them very often.

85. I love to shop, but always look for sale items. It pains me to pay full price for things. Ann Taylor Loft has the most kick ass sales around.

86. The one thing I don’t skimp on is makeup. Bare Escentuals is the bomb diggity. It is never on sale but is like gold in little plastic pots.

87. I have a fondness for 80s teen movies. In my book, “The Breakfast Club” is one fine piece of cinema.

88. I am always freezing.

89. I think the worst show on TV is that “Real Housewives” crap on Bravo – those are some annoying bitches.

90. When it comes to real life, I don’t cry very often. I can, however, get all teary over commercials and TV shows and movies. I get that this doesn’t make sense.

91. My favorite movie of all time is probably “Titanic.” That one gets me every time.

92. I cannot stand garlic breath. Seriously, ew.

93. I think the beach is the most relaxing place in the world. I would live there if I could. But who the hell has that kind of money?

94. I dislike pretentious people. A lot.

95. I don’t like people looking at me or being the center of attention, it makes me uncomfortable.

96. I don’t think I’ve ever met a famous person, that I can think of. I once saw Hulk Hogan at the airport. He’s tall.

97. I am an extreme perfectionist. This is an annoying habit.

98. I get compliments all the time on the perfume that I wear. It’s from Target and costs $13.99.

99. I wonder, every day, whether I’m doing a good job raising my girls.

100. I hope, every day, that I’m doing a good job raising my girls. They are my greatest thing.

6 comments:

  1. My girls are my greatest thing, too! And PINK is my favorite color. THanks so much for stopping by my blog & following---I am your newest follower, too!
    ;-)
    will have to read through this post more thoroughly later, in a rush, but wanted to say a quick hello!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome.

    I married my high school sweetheart too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I am always so impressed when people do lists like these. I don't think that I could.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing list (okay except maybe for the toenails falling off ewwww)
    So nice to get to know you better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks girls, it's so nice of you to stop by and show some love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list! And, like a dork, I was nodding in agreement on a lot of them.

    ReplyDelete

Like every blogger in the universe, I love me some comments. I promise I read and appreciate every single one. I swear! And, if you have a blog, I visit and leave comments in return...I'm good at the reciprocal comments. I'm not, however, good at replying directly back or responding back within the same comment thread. But I will reciprocate your comments, I swear!