Pages

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Just When You Think Nothing Else Could Possibly Go Wrong...

I really don't know what I did to piss off the universe, but the hits, they just keep on coming.  Now my grandma has pneumonia and is on a respirator in the ICU and not expected to live.  She's 80 years old and has had a myriad of health problems for years, including diabetes and congestive heart failure, so it's not like this is a huge shock.  Honestly though, she's pulled through all of her issues so many times before, you just kind of expect that she'll keep on trucking, you know?  One time, she was actually in a hospice center and given a few days to live.  That was over three years ago.

In June, my sister and I took our grandparents out to dinner to celebrate their 61st wedding anniversary and she was doing pretty well.  Lately though, she's had more bad days than good, it seems.  Last week, she told my grandpa that she is ready to die because she just can't keep living anymore.  On Sunday she couldn't breathe and was rushed to the hospital only to discover that her heart rate was under 50 beats per minute.  Yesterday she had a temporary pacemaker installed while they tried to get the pneumonia treated and her liver and kidneys began to fail.  Today she started running a fever.  Now, the doctors say it will be a miracle if she wakes up. If she doesn't, I'm really going to miss her.  

5 comments:

  1. Oh no, I hope your grandma will be okay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am so very sorry. wishing the best for your grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry. I know that's hard. Hang in there and we're all here for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. She passed away last Saturday. :( Thank you for asking.

      Delete

Like every blogger in the universe, I love me some comments. I promise I read and appreciate every single one. I swear! And, if you have a blog, I visit and leave comments in return...I'm good at the reciprocal comments. I'm not, however, good at replying directly back or responding back within the same comment thread. But I will reciprocate your comments, I swear!