Pages

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Worse

My grandma passed away last Saturday.  She had been doing better for a couple of days and we all thought that this was just going to be another close call.  Then I got the call that she wasn't expected to live much longer when I was two and a half hours away from home for a soccer game.  I turned around and began one of the longest drives of my life, praying that I would make it in time to see her one last time.

Luckily, she held on for several more hours and all of our family was able to get to the hospital in time.  I'm convinced that she held on until we could all be there.  I'm not sure that I've ever witnessed anything so sad as my grandpa saying goodbye to his wife of 61 years.  Nothing can prepare you for hearing him say "I better go give her a kiss while she's still alive."

Toward the end, everyone but my sister and I left her hospital room as they couldn't handle just waiting for her to die.  I stayed because I didn't want her to be alone.  I told her it was okay for her to go, she had suffered long enough and we all were there for her and loved her so much.  I held her hand and counted her breaths.  First she was breathing every three seconds, then every five, then every seven, then every ten...and then she was gone.

In the past few days, I have learned that even if you sort of know that something like this is coming, there is no way to prepare for it.  It's a toss up as to whether it's been worse losing my grandma or watching my grandpa try to figure out how to live his life without her.  Logically, I know that she was sick for a long time and in constant pain and now she is at peace and no longer suffering.  It doesn't make me feel any better, though.  I am so overwhelmingly sad that it almost physically hurts.  I miss my grandma.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm keeping you and everyone in your family in my thoughts during this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hunnie, I'm so sorry. You talking about counting her breathes really resonates. I remember doing that with my dad. There is something so gripping about waiting for those last couple of moments that will stay with you forever. But it will also give you some comfort that you were there right up until the end. I wish the best for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete

Like every blogger in the universe, I love me some comments. I promise I read and appreciate every single one. I swear! And, if you have a blog, I visit and leave comments in return...I'm good at the reciprocal comments. I'm not, however, good at replying directly back or responding back within the same comment thread. But I will reciprocate your comments, I swear!