Pages

Friday, November 15, 2013

Remembering

Earlier this week, an old friend that I've known since elementary school was killed in a car accident.  She was only 34 and leaves behind a husband and three small children.  Yesterday, she would have turned 35 years old and instead of celebrating another year gone by, her family was planning her funeral.  Yet another reminder that life is just not fair.

I can't help but think about the fact that two of her children are young enough that they probably won't remember her as they get older.  Think for a second about a mother's love for their child.  It's so palpable, you can almost touch it. And yet, her poor little babies will probably have a hard time remembering her love for them and or what she was even like.  I haven't seen my friend in many years and still, I will probably have more memories of her than her own children.  That also doesn't seem fair.

There about a million quotes out there about that fact that life is short, we all should make the most of every moment, you never know when your time is up, etc. Don't you think though, that most of us look at death as something nebulous that won't actually happen to us for a really long time?  I know I always have.  This week I got a reminder that those sayings are quite true.

So today, I will remember my friend for her sweet soul and shy smile.  I will hug my kids a bit tighter and hold each moment with them a little closer to my heart.  And I will be thankful that when my time here on Earth is finished, they will be able to remember me.

3 comments:

  1. How sad :( I'm sorry about your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear about that. Keeping you and your friend's family in my thoughts during this very difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm so sorry. life often is not fair.

    ReplyDelete

Like every blogger in the universe, I love me some comments. I promise I read and appreciate every single one. I swear! And, if you have a blog, I visit and leave comments in return...I'm good at the reciprocal comments. I'm not, however, good at replying directly back or responding back within the same comment thread. But I will reciprocate your comments, I swear!